On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 1:18 PM Francis Jayakanth <fran...@iisc.ac.in>
wrote:

> Thank you for the reply. Yes, I plan to migrate to Mailman3, but I want it
> up and running on the new domain ncsinet.in.
>
> The Mailman server has Python 2.7.17.

I meant to ask about the Python3 version.

> I have made some progress on the new domain, but some issues still need to
> be resolved. Here is what I have done so far:
>
> 1. ncsinet.in is FQDN.
> 2. Changed the hostname of the Mailman server to the new domain ncsinet.in
> 3. DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'ncsinet.in' & DEFAULT_URL_HOST   = 'ncsinet.in'
> 4. Created a news list called test123 and have added one subscriber.
> 5. When I post a message to test...@ncsinet.in, postmas...@ncsinet.in
> returns the following reply:
>
> Your message to test...@ncsinet.in couldn't be delivered.
> test123 wasn't found at ncsinet.in.

Did you already run the geniuses command so that Mailman can recognize your
new list?

The documentation says:
```
6.1.1 Integrating Postfix and Mailman

   You can integrate Postfix and Mailman such that when new lists are
   created, or lists are removed, Postfix's alias database will be
   automatically updated. The following are the steps you need to take to
   make this work.

   In the description below, we assume that you've installed Mailman in
   the default location, i.e. /usr/local/mailman. If that's not the case,
   adjust the instructions according to your use of configure's --prefix
   and --with-var-prefix options.

   Note: If you are using virtual domains and you want Mailman to honor
   your virtual domains, read the 6.1 section below first! Then come back
   here and do these steps.

     * Add this to the bottom of the $prefix/Mailman/mm_cfg.py file:
        MTA = 'Postfix'

       The MTA variable names a module in the Mailman/MTA directory which
       contains the mail server-specific functions to be executed when a
       list is created or removed.
     * Look at the Defaults.py file for the variables POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD
       and POSTFIX_MAP_CMD command. Make sure these point to your
       postalias and postmap programs respectively. Remember that if you
       need to make changes, do it in mm_cfg.py.
     * Run the bin/genaliases script to initialize your aliases file.
        % cd /usr/local/mailman
        % bin/genaliases

       Make sure that the owner of the data/aliases and data/aliases.db
       file is mailman, that the group owner for those files is mailman,
       or whatever user and group you used in the configure command, and
       that both files are group writable:
        % su
        % chown mailman:mailman data/aliases*
        % chmod g+w data/aliases*

     * Hack your Postfix's main.cf file to include the following path in
       your alias_maps variable:
          /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases

       Note that there should be no trailing .db. Do not include this in
       your alias_database variable. This is because you do not want
       Postfix's newaliases command to modify Mailman's aliases.db file,
       but you do want Postfix to consult aliases.db when looking for
       local addresses.
       You probably want to use a hash: style database for this entry.
       Here's an example:
        alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases,
            hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases

     * When you configure Mailman, use the --with-mail-gid=mailman switch;
       this will be the default if you configured Mailman after adding the
       mailman owner. Because the owner of the aliases.db file is mailman,
       Postfix will execute Mailman's wrapper program as uid and gid
       mailman.

   That's it! One caveat: when you add or remove a list, the aliases.db
   file will updated, but it will not automatically run postfix reload.
   This is because you need to be root to run this and suid-root scripts
   are not secure. The only effect of this is that it will take about a
   minute for Postfix to notice the change to the aliases.db file and
   update its tables.
```

--
Best regards,