On 2/8/24 15:24, Tim Houseman wrote:
Is it possible for footers to only be attached once? I am hosting a legal
mailing list and their footer is quite long. We recently updated to Mailman 3
and the list has become more active as a result but in that activity the users
have noticed that the footer just continually stacks up at the bottom of
subsequent emails. Is there any way to avoid this scenario?

The short answer is No.

The long answer is you have to train the list members to not top post and to only quote material which is necessary to establish context for the reply. This is particularly difficult as many freemail providers have UIs which encourage top posting and may even obscure the fact that they are including a quote of the entire message being replied to.

I have tried in the past to programmatically detect excessive quoting and hold such posts. This resulted in so much negative feedback that I gave up.

You could try putting a `-- ` line at the beginning of the footer to make it look like a signature. At least some MUAs do not include signatures in quoted material in replies.