Tim Houseman writes:

 > Is it possible for footers to only be attached once?

They are only attached once. ;-)  The part that's annoying your
subscribers is included by your posters.  A mailing list should not
touch the message body provided by the poster, unless there's a
specific rule against it (such as executable programs and pornographic
images) -- that's too likely to cut important, desired content.

 > [T]he footer just continually stacks up at the bottom of subsequent
 > emails. Is there any way to avoid this scenario?

Get more courteous subscribers! ;-)

Otherwise, not generically, short of plugging in a well-trained LLM.
The problem is that quoting conventions etc differ across mail
clients, as do signature blocks.  If the signature appears below the
quoted footer, it will become quite complex to decide how much to
remove, especially since some "modern" (aka nonconformant) clients
don't conform to the traditional signature inclusion conventions.  On
a legal list, removing any disclaimers included in signatures is not
likely to make posters happy.

Given how obvious and regular the pattern is to the human eye, it's
certainly possible to do a very good job with a particular list and
its specific footer, but I think you'll need to hire a consultant for
that.

Steve