Adam Morris writes:

 > A member is subscribed to two lists I run.
 >
 > He can post to one but gets the following error when posting to the
 > other list.

 > SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:

The message should indicate which server rejected it.

This error depends on the message content (specifically, a physical
line longer than 998 bytes, which he surely sees as a nicely formatted
paragraph of normal-length lines).  I can't imagine why it depends on
the list, it's not hitting the list processing part.  As Mark points
out, it *could* be Mailman (more precisely, the imported 3rd party
library aiosmtpd), but would be at the very mechnical "let's MOVE SOME
BYTES!" stage of the process, not dependent on list settings at all.
It's definitely a mail server error, not a list-related error.

 > 550 Maximum line length exceeded (see RFC 5322 2.1.1).

It's very unlikely to be a recent (< 4yo) version of aiosmtpd, which
issues a different error: "500 Line too long (see RFC5321 4.5.3.1.6)".
Apple's Postfix also doesn't issue that message.  Nor does Debian's
Exim4.  The citation to the Message Format RFC 5322 is odd, suggesting
Microsoft or other commercial software (you *could* enforce RFC 5322
in a mail server, but no respectable free software does -- that's the
MUA's job).

If this was your server (and not some intermediate gateway), there
should be a log message for it.  Do you have access to the MTA logs on
your server?

So, it's possible but somewhat unlikely that the smtpds at the Mailman
host are mishandling the email (doing this *right* *at scale* is
hard).  But it's also possible that the member's MUA is busted, and is
using Content-Transfer-Encoding "8bit" (or worse, "7bit") where it
should be using "binary", The difference between binary and 8bit is
exactly passing control characters verbatim, and specifically allowing
the message composing agent to ignore line-length restrictions.  If
you have access to the message that got rejected in "source" or "raw"
form, you could check those things.

Also, some intermediate MTA may be busted and not requesting the
8BITMIME extension to SMTP, which is necessary to get some receivers
to relax the line length limitation.

Steve