On 4 Mar 2016, at 9:16, Mike Brasch wrote:

the CardDAV server at Fastmail supports multiple address books per account. Alongside the "Default" adress book I want to use another one for my job. While it is not accessible via OSX adressbook and Fastmail web-frontend, it is via BusyContacts on OSX and via CardDAV-Adapter/DW Contacts on Android.

It would be nice if MM could lookup for addresses in all address books and not only in "Default".

If Contacts can be configured to access the other address books then it should also work in MailMate — although I think this is based on using a private Apple API (which means it's a fragile feature). Have you tried adding the CardDAV accounts to Contacts?