On 12 Jun 2016, at 10:59, David Morrison wrote:

As I said, not everything is a mailing list so does not have anything common to all the messages to include in the search. Yes, saved searches are fine if you leave everything but mailing list messages in the inbox. But if you get more real mail than mailing lists and you want to group certain messages....

Well, if you want to do things automatically "Saved searches"/Smart mailboxes can do everything that filters can do (as far as I know - the only thing that differs that I know of is that saved searches are dynamic). But if you want to do stuff manually or use the traditional filter approach MailMate is pretty good at that also.

= jem