On 10 Jun 2016, at 2:24, Robert Brenstein wrote:

You already got a few answers. The best one is probably from Fredrik: “If you want to exactly mimic your current way of handling e-mail I don't think you will find anything that works well.”

I'll add a couple of additional comments below.

I have 18 personalities, that is 18 different mail addresses and almost as many service providers.

This should not be a problem. MailMate is very flexible regarding multiple accounts/identities. MailMate should also work with most/all service providers — at least it includes numerous workarounds for IMAP server bugs.

It seems that MailMate does not support local mailboxes, that is having mail copied off the server to my computer. MailMate advertisement states that it offers "Full Offline Access."

Full offline access means that MailMate keeps a local copy of every email in every mailbox. It also means that you can act on these emails (move, delete, tag, etc.) and these changes are then synchronized with the server when you go online.

However, the following description mentions only administrative functions. Keeping many thousands of mails on the servers must affect performance.

There is some synchronization work done (how much depends on the IMAP server). Other than that I don't see any IMAP vs local performance issues (in MailMate).

Another feature that is essential for me is that new mail is checked only every 30 mins, which is, of course, because of the volume of mail I get.

You can tell MailMate how often to synchronize each account (or even mailbox). Click on an account under SOURCES and then look for “Mailbox ▸ Synchronization Schedule”. By default, the INBOX of each account is in the “Connected” state which means that new messages are detected immediately, but you can disable this. Only caveat is that MailMate still syncs whenever you select a mailbox. This can currently only be disabled by explicitly taking the account offline. In other words, I don't think you can fully emulate the 30 minute check of Eudora.

So, will MailMate be a good mail client for me?

I don't know, but the 30 day trial only counts days of active use (sending messages).