One last comment/warning about Devonthink versus EagleFiler.

I use both programs, but I love EagleFiler and I still love/hate Devonthink. The learning period is quite long, because of its complexity and because of a poorly defined interface. For example a key feature is “See Also and Classify.” This can be invoked in two ways. The main way is a tiny icon, which is the 10th out of 12 tiny icons in a row in the middle of the DT window. The second way is that it is the 25th (out of about 30) item in one of the menus.

I now know what to do and this does not slow me down. But there are plenty of other useful commands that I still have not figured out. In short, the investment in Devonthink is not just in $.

(On the other hand, we all use MailMate which has a similarly weak interface. For example, the all-important “-“ command is a tiny icon, and AFAIK has no keyboard equivalent. Look up Fitt’s Law for why that is a poor idea. So the obscureness of DT’s interface should not stop anyone.)