On 4 Sep 2016, at 11:55, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

On 3 Sep 2016, at 12:24, Gary Hull wrote:

Customers may be in for a surprise if the proprietor kicks the bucket. MailMate itself has a bus factor = 1, but hey, we love it. Runbox and Fastmail appear to have a bus factor = 3 or so. Gmail has a bus factor = 100,000, which is also its aggravation factor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_factor

I didn't know this expression, but I'm also not sure I like to think about the likelihood of being hit by a bus ;-)

The basic question "What happens if <key project member> gets hit by a bus" was around in the UK at least as far back as the 1970s, but the idea of a numeric factor is new to me.