On 3 Oct 2016, at 16:08, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

On 3 Oct 2016, at 16:50, Alain Israel wrote:

Indeed, but I was wondering whether « Important » is part of these standard keywords, as it could be used as an all purpose tag, while *flagged, seen, junk* have a specific function.

I don't think so. The Exchange server I have access to has this response:

* OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Seen \Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Draft $MDNSent)] Permanent flags

This means that the server supports the listed keywords and nothing else. I don't know if this is in any way configurable by the server administrators. I also don't know how/if `$MDSSent` is used by Exchange. Maybe it can be misused to get a single server-synchronized custom tag...

$MDNSent is used to mark messages for which a message disposition notification message has been sent. I don't see how Exchange can be repurposing that in any way that IMAP clients (which generate "message read" MDNs) can work with, since messages themselves have headers that indicate the sender's desire for a MDN and the IMAP spec says messages (including headers) must be immutable.

Note that Exchange has its roots in X.400 mail, which has an Importance attribute for messages and RFC2156 defines that as translating into an Importance header in Internet email. There is also a common X-Priority header that some versions of Exchange and Outlook use to replicate Importance and some clients have even tried to use a Priority header, an X.400 transplant that is such a bad idea (transport priority determined by sender) that I don't think even Exchange has ever supported it for Internet email. However, some clients have conflated all 3 into a single Importance or Priority attribute that looks like an IMAP attribute (sorta) but doesn't ACT like one because it can only be changed by deleting, purging, and re-saving a message with the appropriate header(s) changed or absent. Complicating the whole thing further, the standard "\Flagged" IMAP keyword is arguably the same semantically as having the Importance header being "high" so there may be some systems which set that on delivery based on the header.