On 11 Jan 2017, at 17:42, Peter Stevens wrote:

Some of these issues might better be handled through better usability. Why not just have some buttons to insert markdown templates? So documentation is isn’t necessary the answer (even if it can be a quick fix for deeper problems).

Just for the record, I agree with this. I recently added that some Markdown is handled via the standard keys, e.g., TextEdit: ⌘B, ⌘I, ⌘K. The last one is for creating links. At its best: Put a URL on the pasteboard, select a word, and hit ⌘K. Yeah, also not documented in the manual.

(Toolbar buttons are a bit harder, because it'll involve graphics I don't have.)