On 22 Jun 2017, at 8:50, Paul Sture wrote:

In the General Pane of System Preferences is an option to “Show scroll bars: Automatically based on mouse or trackpad, When scrolling, or Always”

Yes I have that set to Always. (The next option down "Click in the scroll bar to:" is set to "Jump to the next page", but I'm pretty sure I haven't ever changed that.)

The only computer I have which is new enough to run Sierra is a 2011 MacBook Pro. I see scroll bars all the time in MailMate (for pages and listings that are long enough to require one), without having to use the trackpad to start the page scrolling. I’ll keep investigating.

Ed