On 21 Aug 2017, at 9:45, Jody Foo wrote:

I use Google's contact service and the Contacts Mac OS app is connected to my gmail account. I discovered that after editing and adding contacts using [BusyContacts](https://www.busymac.com/busycontacts/) (which I use as my main contacts manager) that I had to open the Mac OS Contacts app for the edits and additions to be synced and made available in MailMate.

Hmm, I don't know exactly when MacOS synchronizes contacts. I'm pretty sure that this does work if using iCloud Contacts, but I might be wrong.

Is this a limitation of using the system address book, or is it possible to trigger a refresh from within MailMate?

I haven't added anything to MailMate which explicitly triggers synchronization (and I don't know if it is possible at all).

Or can I add the CardDAV source to MailMate directly using some hidden option? Or perhaps even specify a shell command to use for address completion (since I already set this up for my experiments with command line mail agents)?

That last one is not currently possible, but I've considered adding it. The GUI (Composer preferences pane) already has a list of auto-completion sources and I considered adding some kind of script-based alternative. It's not a high priority though :)