On 3 Oct 2019, at 18:25, Dan Pritts wrote:

Mailmate has been blazingly fast; I have experienced no slowdowns like you describe.

In answer to one question, I'm on macOS 10.14.6, the most recent official release, should have said that).

Thanks everyone. It does seem to be to do with replying for those of you who have this happening, so I'll change the settings for reply autocompletion and see what happened.

(That message took several days to send (for some reason) before gmail finally authenticated me. In the meantime, this gave me an excuse to buy a PCI SATA connector (which gives twice as fast disk access on this generation of Mac Pro) and it's noticeably improved. But some replies still seem to need 10-20 seconds.)

Thanks for helping me focus my thoughts on this. I'll report back soon.

cheers
Jason