On 7 Jan 2020, at 8:42, Robert M. Münch wrote:

I use Stream Deck (physical shortcut deck) which allows to start an application. Most OSX apps can be activated by opening them again if they already run.

MM isn’t activated, instead it behaves strange in that it looks like a 2nd instance is launched but terminated after a short time.

Is it possible that you have MM installed in 2 places? I have found that if I leave full-image backups (e.g. CarbonCopy Cloner or SuperDuper) mounted permanently, macOS Launch Services can get confused about which copy of an app is the right one to use. This can result in the behavior you describe.

--
Bill Cole
Not For Hire (currently)