On 2021-03-26 12:12:44 (+0800), Topher Buck wrote:
Can anyone tell me what version—e.g., r5737—I’ll get (today) if I download <MailMateBigSur.tbz> via the __direct link__ in the __Big Sur__ paragraph on https://freron.com/download/?

This will get you r5757 (according to the Info.plist file included with that download).

The Alt-“Check Now” option in Preferences > Software Update provides r5757 (again, as of today). If I’m running Big Sur but don’t want to live on the bleeding edge, which is the better option?

After being on r5757 for a while, I have returned to the "bleeding edge" (r5789 right now) because I kind of like having a native aarch64 binary. I can't say I'm bleeding much (or at all). MailMate test releases are very stable. The few notable exceptions I've encountered since I started using MailMate have invariably been fixed very quickly.

And if I should use <MailMateBigSur.tbz>, what do I need to know about installation? For example, once unzipped, will that file produce an installer package?

You get a MailMate.app which you can drag to your Applications folder.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps
Senior Reality Engineer