On 2024-05-28 at 10:46:03 UTC-0400 (Tue, 28 May 2024 16:46:03 +0200)
aisrael <mailmate@lists.freron.com>
is rumored to have said:

Thanks, in this case I did not set up a rule for the Inbox (except now for getting rid of all the error messages I currently receive by my fault), so I’ll try to contact the IT persons at my institution.

Gmail can be instructed to import emails from a different source (using the Accounts and import tab in the Settings), but I checked before deleting the Gmail account, and there did not seem to be anything set up there. Is it at all possible that a rule set up in Gmail can still be active once the Gmail account has been deleted?

No, because that is done by GMail 'pulling' messages over IMAP or POP.

Examination of the error messages should reveal the specific character of the failure. For example, the "From" address on an error message will have a domain name which tells you where the message was when the failure occurred. If the error message uses the standard for such things, the body will include both specifics of the failed transaction and an encapsulated copy of the original in message/rfc822 format which includes headers that can be used to trace how the message has traveled.

Alain