I wish I had an error message other than the regular/occasional 550 mailbox
unavailable.

I do have one gun that has a wisp of smoke to it: when analyzing FBL
complaints, an overwhelmingly large amount of them (~70% ballpark or so I
believe) are ex post factum FBL complaints coming in bulk: a given user
simply marks a large amount of emails (say from 2 to 10) and marks them all
as spam. I've been getting these for up to 2 months backwards. I have
nicknamed the phenomena 'Complaint amplification'.

the reason I doubt it explains anything is because our complaint rate
should be very very low either way.