> On Apr 28, 2016, at 11:18 AM, Rob Heilman <rheil...@echolabs.net> wrote:
>
> We are seeing intermittent but frequent SERVFAIL errors for Microsoft owned
> hostnames in MX records.  Specifically with *.mail.protection.outlook.com
> hostnames.  In the BIND logs we see something like this:
>
> 28-Apr-2016 13:35:01.139 query-errors: debug 1: client 10.10.10.96#48950
> (pitt-edu.mail.protection.outlook.com): query failed (SERVFAIL) for
> pitt-edu.mail.protection.outlook.com/IN/A at query.c:7004
>
> That appears to be a fairly generic error in query.c:
>
>                /*
>                 * Something has gone wrong.
>                 */
>                QUERY_ERROR(DNS_R_SERVFAIL);
>                goto cleanup;
>
> Is anyone else seeing this?  I suspect it has something to do with DNSSEC or
> possibly AAAA records, but haven’t proved it yet.  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

Looks like (some of) the Microsoft authoritative servers are confused by dnssec.

~ ∙ dig +dnssec @ns1-proddns.glbdns.o365filtering.com
pitt-edu.mail.protection.outlook.com

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P1 <<>> +dnssec @ns1-proddns.glbdns.o365filtering.com
pitt-edu.mail.protection.outlook.com
; (4 servers found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: FORMERR, id: 54828
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 0, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; WARNING: recursion requested but not available

Cheers,
  Steve