On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 02:25:13PM -0600, Joel Beckham wrote:
> I'm working towards p=reject on bombbomb.com and found that Securence /
> usinternet.com (A forwarder) gets a measurable percentage of our mail and
> modifies the message-id in the process.

There's the problem.  They should not be doing so.  It's clearly against
the meaning/intent of RFC 5322, Section 3.6.4, which reads in part:

        The "Message-ID:" field provides a unique message identifier that
        refers to a particular version of a particular message.  The
        uniqueness of the message identifier is guaranteed by the host that
        generates it (see below).

and

        Note: There are many instances when messages are "changed", but
        those changes do not constitute a new instantiation of that
        message, and therefore the message would not get a new message
        identifier.  For example, when messages are introduced into the
        transport system, they are often prepended with additional header
        fields such as trace fields (described in section 3.6.7) and
        resent fields (described in section 3.6.6).  The addition of such
        header fields does not change the identity of the message and
        therefore the original "Message-ID:" field is retained.

Forwarding a message changes it slightly but clearly does not
constitute a new instantiation of the message, therefore the
Message-ID should not be modified.

It's also a bad idea operationally, as it will break things like
loop detection, it will complicate problem diagnosis, and it will
break anti-spam/anti-abuse mechanisms that rely on Message-ID.

---rsk