On 16-05-27 10:08 AM, Michael Wise wrote:

The problem with the, "Please Reply" method is that it can lead to mailbombing
the target.
We've seen it happen.

Of course, someone could use a forged address when sending the 'confirmation' email, but how they would get mail bombed I am unsure of.

No-one will reply that they want the email, for a list they didn't subscribe to. And the sending system would normally limit the amount of subscription requests to an individual address.

But I agree with you completely on the, "loose definition" issue, and have a
rather nasty story about that.
Always get the person who asserts their doing it to tell you exactly what that
term means to them.

" I checked with my manager, and we looked it up, that address DOES Exist!

And we hear a lot of them too :)

Putting your business card in a bowl to win a prize is definitely not giving permission to get on a mailing list ;)

But true confirmed double opt-in lists very seldom get complaints, and provides a higher ROI..

http://www.isipp.com/documents/The-Case-for-COI.pdf

My personal pet peeve (and yes I mean you ticket master) is when you expressly do everything you can (uncheck the box) to declare you don't want any marketing, but still get it..

Some ESP's do make a good effort to encourage it, but many still allow new customers to bring over their old 'confirmed' lists as an import, instead of forcing a new confirmation, which of course is ripe for abuse. The concern is that they will have a large drop in subscribers, as people don't re-confirm.. but probably they miss the point, those aren't the people you want on your list, as they aren't engaged enough to re-confirm.

Most of the world's largest mailing lists, which operate as confirmed double opt-in, never get on the complaint radar..

I personally think that ESP's should make an effort to carefully separate their confirmed double opt-in mailings, from single opt-in mailers..

But, still there is a lot of commercial motivators to maximize delivery rates, (including mixing good and bad mailers together, obfuscating the sender information etc).. But in the end, whether it is adblocking, reputation lists, or even legislative powers, at some point those techniques may backfire.. IMHO

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."