> On Jun 7, 2016, at 9:06 AM, Simon <s...@4lists.simonliebold.de> wrote:
>
> Hello List,
>
> For quite some time I am noticing DKIM temperrors in DMARC reports
> (exclusively) from Microsoft. Until today I wasn't able to track down
> whatever is causing this:
>
> If a DKIM selector is a CNAME pointing to a 1024 bit key it returns a
> DKIM "pass". But if the selector points to a 2048 bit key it returns a
> DKIM "temperror".

The 2048 bit key plus the CNAME gives a reply packet big enough that the UDP
reply to a non-edns query is truncated. Retrying over TCP works, but a DNS
resolver that doesn't do TCP would just error out.

That's probably why the DKIM temperror. If you make your reply small enough
that a UDP reply works (either by not using the CNAME in the same zone, or by
using a slightly smaller key) I expect it'd go away.

> My test setup:
>    2016Q2-1024._domainkey.simonliebold.de => dkim=pass
>    2016Q2._domainkey.simonliebold.de => dkim=temperror
>
> I am wondering if anyone spotted this in the DMARC reports from Microsoft.

Cheers,
  Steve