If the marketer is sending to traps, then he is not legitimate. Just removing the identified traps does not fix the problem, it just removes a symptom.

First step should be to adapt best practices, confirmed opt-in (aka double opt-in), give the recipient a way to unsubscribe, remove all brought lists, and so on. Then you should clean up the lists. Sent a new Opt-In Mail, remove all shady or malicious sources.

With that information, I'm sure a delisting would not cause any problem.

cheers,
Mathias