On 9 Dec 2016, at 21:14, Steve Atkins wrote:

Looks like someone along the delivery path is expanding tabs, but it's hard to say more without looking at wider data.

Unless I saw something to suggest otherwise I'd assume that it's something to do with the delivery path rather than the recipient. I'd look at the smarthosts they went through (is something configured differently on them?) and the MXes that received them.

The messages have differing indentation on the X-Microsoft-Exchange-Diagnostics headers, which strongly suggests it's inside something at Microsoft.

FWIW, Exchange has a long history of playing silly buggers with message whitespace. I would expect MS to have learned to stop that by now, but, well, MS...