> On Dec 12, 2016, at 12:15 PM, Maarten Oelering <maar...@postmastery.net>
> wrote:
>
> DKIMCore promotes the use of simple body canocalization:
> http://dkimcore.org/deployment/dkim.html.

Something that might not be the most robust configuration, given Microsoft's
whitespace issues, though at the time it was written the failure modes in the
body of the message tended to be more spectacular than relaxed canonicalization
would help with.

(And the author contradicts himself in todays blog post:
https://wordtothewise.com/2016/12/dkim-canonicalization-or-why-microsoft-breaks-your-mail/
 )

> Should ESPs use relaxed body canocalization instead to avoid these (rare)
> validation issues?

Yes. They should also probably:

   o Not use tabs for whitespace.

   o Use email addresses of the form "friendly address" <local@domain>

   o Avoid lines longer than 80 characters

   o Use quoted-printable for all body text

   o ...

None of this is particularly important when the only fallout of a DKIM
validation failure is "meh, it's email". DKIM is fragile in transit, we know
that.

It goes wrong when people also deploy DMARC with p=reject, which repurposes
DKIM and SPF to make negative rather than positive assertions, so actually
fails when both DKIM and SPF fail to validate. So we have to care more now.

Cheers,
  Steve