The negotiation of STARTTLS is done in clear, so a packet capture will tell
you where the problem is... Wireshark usually explains well what options
are in the packets...

Often, it is a problem of finding an acceptable cypher to both parties...

Finally, make sure your firewall is not messing up with SMTP packets...