On 26 Mar 2017 20:58:50 -0000
"John Levine" <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:

> In article <20170326220333.3c517c48@quill> you write:
> >If I want to be able to give people information for being able to
> >contact me via the Internet, so that I can have a reasonable
> >expectation of being able to make sure that this will still work in
> >20 years (provided I am then still alive and healthy enough to be
> >able to use computers), how would I do that without a second level
> >domain of my own?
>
> I know a certain number of people with e-mail addresses that haven't
> changed in 20 years, not at domains they own.  It's probably more
> than the number I know with 20 year old vanity domains, and I know
> a lot of vain old nerds.

I don't agree that this fact (that you know people who --despite not
having any way to ensure that no need to change their email address
would arise-- were lucky to not have that problem) is very relevant to
the question that I raised.

I also disagree with the insinuation that wanting to use a domain name
under your control for personal and/or family communications is
necessarily a matter of vanity.

> But I can't help noticing that people keep trying to change the topic.

I was replying to your assertion "And, of course, the claim that you
need your own second level domain to communicate on the Internet is
ridiculous."

Also snipped was the first sentence of my reply: "Depends on the time
horizon."

> Once again, nobody* has a problem with privacy protection for the
> small minority of domains registered by natural persons.  The problem
> is that the pro-crime crowd keep demanding that all the rest be
> anonymous or effectively anonymous, too.

I certainly don't have any objections to the principle that domains
which are in active use for any commercial purpose should not be
anonymous.

My objection is just against a certain overbroad argument which (in
the form in which it was worded) appeared to deny that (at least for
some people) there are very good reasons for wanting to use a domain
name of your own for personal / family contact info.

Greetings,
Norbert