On 17-05-16 12:14 PM, Andreas Schamanek wrote:
On Tue, 16 May 2017, at 13:05, Vick Khera wrote:

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 12:11 PM, D'Arcy Cain <da...@vex.net> wrote:

Heck, we may not even need to do it.  Enough coverage and the threat may
get a bunch of them fixed anyway.

hahahaha. you are very optimistic.

Maybe, but I still love the idea of organizing an Internatinal
Fix-Your-SPF day.

hehe... I would settle for a 'banks fix your SPF records day'.

But in reality, we still can't get most people to even properly configure PTR/DNS records.. let alone SPF..

And of course, those people who don't even know the affects of DNS, eg firewalls that don't allow both TCP and UDP requests, creating REALLY long PTR record lists, that force fallback to TCP retry with it's associated lag and overhead.. SPF records that are incredibly long.. (use inheritance if you need to) the use of weak SPF includes, which anyone can forge..

So, let's start slower..

'Fix your PTR record day'
'Block Port 25 day from residential networks day'
'Stop allowing open relay day'
'Stop forwarding email badly' (or at all ;)
'Monitor traffic on egress day'
    (Doesn't every modern router support this? and alarms?)

These are simpler fixes, and if they were just done, would make the internet a heck of a lot safer in a real hurry..

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."