Forwarding is complicated, but it's not going away.

If you take "ownership" of forwarded mail by changing the MAIL FROM, then
you are more likely to be charged for the spam you forward.  If you don't
take ownership, then spf will fail, and a good spam filter will be more
likely to notice it's forwarded mail and not blame your IPs (as much).

It is true, that with ARC, you can "pass" an SPF pass forward to the next
hop, voiding the auth issue.  And, hopefully, the spam filter can use the
arc hop information to know the message was forwarded as well, and do a
better job of attributing the spam.

Overall, I'm kind of surprised there is still this level of debate over the
utility of the "policy" parts of SPF, especially among folks who should
know email[1].  It seems pretty clear that, in general, the policy parts of
SPF are a failure, and hence the move to using DMARC for policy which can
rely on either SPF or DKIM for auth, thereby reducing the cases where auth
failure leads to poor policy enforcement.  Even DMARC is not 100%
effective, there are plenty of cases where it fails (RFC 7960), and clearly
there is some difference between DMARC (5322.From) and SPF (5321.From).

Brandon

[1] the occasional argument with those who just discovered SPF and don't
understand the the history of email auth and policy is more expected.