On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 3:40 PM, Dom Latter <mailop....@latter.org> wrote:

> On 13/07/17 02:58, John Levine wrote:
>
>> I get the impression that you vastly overestimate how much the rest of
>> the world cares whether they get your mail.  (This is the general you,
>> not you personally.)
>>

> Our recipients care very much!  They are literally paying for it.
>
> I'd put it this way - btinternet don't care very much whether or not
> they deliver their customers' legitimate email.

Unless the spam problem an ISP sees from a netrange is especially
egregious, you reaching out to the ISP should be enough to get an exception
provided that your own sending metrics support it.  It is not BT's
responsibility to accept a lot of spam at their expense in order for your
customers to receive mail they paid you for.  If BT chooses to make an
exception for your mail, then that is fabulous.  Problem solved.
Otherwise, it is your responsibility to your customer to find an unabusive
way of delivering their paid content to them.  In this case, you have two
choices - 1) Find a provider with a better reputation or 2) ask your mutual
customers to contact BT to request an exception for your dedicated IP(s).
I recommend the first option.

Or to look at it another way, if you don't care enough to find a
>> network from which people can easily accept mail, why should anyone else?
>>

> Well, now we know, and we have a plan to relay via a reputable network.
>
> Trouble is - and feel free to call me naive - is that I had no idea
> that this sort of range blocking was a standard practice, or that
> Hetzner had such a bad reputation.

It's less of a common practice than it used to be, I think.  I don't work
for an abuse desk anymore, but antispam technology is much more advanced
now and blocking of entire networks by large ISPs has never really been a
common practice.  You lose a lot of customers if there's enough legitimate
email from that network.

 Karen