On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 10:51 AM, Simon Forster <simon-li...@ldml.com>
wrote:

> On 17 Jul 2017, at 16:59, Stefano Bagnara <mai...@bago.org> wrote:
>
> On 17 July 2017 at 16:57, Simon Forster <simon-li...@ldml.com> wrote:
>

> On 17 Jul 2017, at 13:28, Stefano Bagnara <mai...@bago.org> wrote:
>
> Senderscore,
> senderbase, uce-protect, spamhaus, spamcop and other sources are not
> publishing informations that declare OVH worse than others direct
> competitor in EU.
>

> <https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/networks/>
>
> ovh.net at #9. Some of their listings are fairly obnoxious stuff which
> should be dealt with quickly.

> That page is a moving target and I rarely see OVH there, BTW, now that
> I look it I see
> #1 Microsoft
> #4 Amazon
> #9 Google
> #10 OVH
>
> So, it is clear to me that this is also about volume, so big
> legitimate senders ARE ALSO on the big spam sender list, or Google is
> a worse option than OVH. Is there anyone blocking Google or Microsoft
> network at all? ;-)
> Remeber that OVH is one of the largest sender around, so it is
> expected to be there: that report is just "largest" not "worst". OVH
> is big, like Google and Microsoft and Amazon are big senders... If you
> see "non-big senders" in that list, then THEY are worst spammers, IMO.
>
> So, IMHO that report is not a report that let us say OVH is worst than
> "Put your other ISP here", unless you think that "big == bad" and in
> that case OVH is in company with Microsoft and Google.
>
> PS #1 on the same page is Microsoft — but that looks more like someone
> finding a way to game their signup process to get snowshoe spamming set up
> on Microsoft's networks. IIRC, there’s a gang rotating around big providers
> doing this — so different… quality of problem.
>

> You don't "convince" me on the "poor microsoft is on that list by
> mistake because someone is tricking them... " neither: if the report
> is good then Microsoft is the worst provider and Amazon and Google are
> worst than OVH, too. Otherwise that report is not to be used for this
> reason.
> Do you have a "quality excuse" for Google and Amazon, too, so that
> they are not to be considered "worse than quite bad”?
>

> So there’s a misalignment of perspective here. Probably my fault ‘cause I
> was picking you up on one point in your original email.
>
> Let’s draw a distinction between “corporate” outbounds, where “corporate”
> outbounds are MTAs managed by the entity concerned, and hosting space.
> Think Gmail and Hotmail outbounds for “corporate” outbounds.
>
> OVH generally has a poor reputation as evinced by others — whether from
> corporate outbounds or just their (hosting) space, others will have to
> confirm.
>
> Microsoft, Google and Amazon and working hard to get bad reputations for
> their hosting space but I think it’s generally agreed that they do quite a
> [...]

You included Google in one but not the other.  In any case, GCP blocks
outbound port 25 for GCE and doesn't have a mail service, so at least on
the hosting side, they've erred on the side of opting out of the issue.

https://cloud.google.com/compute/docs/tutorials/sending-mail/

I do find it interesting that we're on that list with 90 complaints in the
past 9 months.  10 complaints per month at our volumes is a pretty trivial
number, and probably not particularly representative of the actual volume
of spam that spammers manage to send through us, unfortunately.

Brandon