So, we do rotate our certs, though I thought it was monthly.

We're also going through various changes of our certs, including a root
cert change and a likely new G3 intermediate cert (I don't think this is
live yet, but I haven't checked).

When we do change certs, we roll them out slowly to some datacenters and
then others until it reaches all of them.  It is likely what you're seeing
is that different connections are getting different results.  Do you
"remember" past certs that were okayed by your users, or only just one?  If
you remembered all of them, you'd be in a better position.

That said, you're asking your users to perform a security assessment that
they are almost certainly going to do wrong.  They can't know whether a
cert was revoked, from a bad/rogue/compromised CA, and they just want their
mail, they'll almost certainly make the wrong choice.

Anyways, good luck with that.

Brandon