On 2017-10-13 at 20:15 +0200, Philip Paeps wrote:
> On 2017-10-13 13:02:35 (-0500), Chris Adams wrote:
> >Once upon a time, Kostya Vasilyev <kmans...@gmail.com> said:
> >>The app "remembers" the SSL certs it has seen for a particular server
> >>/ port, and if, when it connects, it finds that the cert has changed -
> >>
> >>- it flags this as an error and requires the user to decide if he/she
> >>wants to proceed (displaying information about the "last known" and
> >>the "new" certificates).
> >
> >Aside from your Google-related questions, this is going to be a problem
> >with anybody using Let's Encrypt certs, as they'll typically change
> >every two months.
>
> I hope the original poster's software checks if the *key* changes and
> not the *certificate*.
>
> In the case of letsencrypt.org certificates, they're simply reissued /
> resigned every two months.  The keys don't change.

Nope. Many let's encrypt bots do create new keys. And that's part of the
point of using short-lived certificates.

Of course, there are cases where it is not practical, the certificate
pinning mentioned by Luis on his blog is a good example that precludes
simply generating a new one at renewal time.

But if you are only using them for your clients to authenticate with the
PKI, I would consider generating new ones to be the right configuration.