On Tue, 14 Nov 2017, Brandon Long wrote:
>On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 10:58 AM Renaud Allard via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>
>wrote:

>>Actually, it's way more than that:
>> Initial 220 Message: 5 Minutes
>> MAIL Command: 5 Minutes
>> RCPT Command: 5 Minutes
>> DATA Initiation: 2 Minutes
>> Data Block: 3 Minutes. This is while awaiting the completion of each TCP
>> SEND call transmitting a chunk of data.
>> DATA Termination: 10 Minutes

>Ugh, those timeouts are insane, from a different era.

They might have been shortened by RFC 5321 (only 10 years ago), but
weren't -- satellite can be terrible and links into disaster areas can
be worse, not even counting personal or overloaded servers (as was
suggested, taking a while to scan content).  General aviation crusing at
100kts continues even while others fly or ride 5 times faster -- I see
similar in SMTP/networking/servers; hell a hundred-fold difference
probably exists between my home and your employer's datacenter yet
either of us can source or sink SMTP sessions -- I'd not need 10 minutes
to scan but it is nice that I am (they are) not required to run races
just because others can/do/must.  That being aside from what we actually
practice despite the rules (guidelines it sometimes seems).

/mark