Hi all,

I will try to explain what happened with the Microsoft FBL signal over the past
year from the Microsoft side.

There were three factors at play

a. We slowly transitioned the traffic away from the legacy Hotmail.com
infrastructure to Office365.  Started moving some recipient domains in April
and after multiple steps, validations, spam attacks, we completed the traffic
switch last week.  This transition means some domains were seeing the old infra
and some the new infra in varying proportions.  Each infra has its own
specifics and bugs, but all legacy font-doors (mx1.hotmail.com) have networking
ACLs since Dec 7th.

b. We addressed the lack of ReportJunk UX/buttons in mobile clients by enabling
"implicit junk reports".  We hooked "move to junk folder" signals on the
mailbox side (so it works across all clients, including old ones) and generate
a ARF report on behalf of the user.  Around 55% of consumer email sessions are
actually on mobile these days.  Hence this provided a boost of signals and the
quality of the signal is very good actually.

c. Over the past year we had few incidents that caused disruption to the feed
(I remember some certificate expired, a huge migration of the big data platform
to Azure Data Lake, other things like that).  Non-emergency changes in the
service are introduced via gradual deployments, so this was the cause of some
dips.

The good news is that outlook.com service is fully on the modern stack and
there is visibility in the mobile userbase which actually revealed some new
sets of campaigns: some (spam) senders use the FBL feed to actually prune out
the users that provide ReportJunk feedback (in other words senders do list
cleaning instead of improving their campaigns).

Separately, the assumption that ReportJunk only happens from emails in inbox is
not always true, some users actually reportJunk (if the UX is available) also
from the junk folder.  Some users even call support "why did I get this spam
mail in my junk folder" as they want an empty junk folder or not having any
explicit emails or spoofs, etc.  This is actually also good signal as it tells
us (and you) that this user really does not want that mail.

Regards,

Mihai Costea

O365 Information Protection

Message: 1