On 10 January 2018 at 08:16, Sotiris Tsimbonis <sts...@x33.gr> wrote:
> [...] They did
> not report it as spam yesterday, they only viewed it. They don't use an
> email client, they only use the web interface provided by hotmail.

I often heard story like this... the fact is that this "i never marked
it as spam" is always from a non-techie person..
- Sometimes they lie, because they didn't know you spy on their
"junking habits", so they simply deny when you ask why they did
something they didn't know you could "monitor".
- Sometimes they don't even know what is the spam button (some of them
think it is like trash, some of them don't know at all).
- Sometimes they happen to click on stuff without really recognizing they did.

We run a SaaS and very often our users say they never did something
until we dig in the logs and have evidence they really did that, so my
first think is always "everybody lies" (sometimes they are not really
aware they are lying, they simply never read/tried to understood and
thought that "permanently delete" means "hide this for a while").

It is possible there is a bug in the platform, but I still have to get
similar reports from a trusted source or see the behaviour with my
eyes. So, I think you should take this at least as an option (and use
Occam's razor).

> So it's not bulk moving emails to junk using imap. Opening the email
> yesterday triggered the fbl process somehow.
>
> I'm still not quite certain of how it works, but Mihai Costea also
> posted that 1% of their fbl reports are back from 2016 ...

I don't see anything weird from that. People can mark as spam any
email, even if the email has been received a lot of time ago.
He told that he searched the email, maybe they also marked it as spam:
this kind of action could have the legitimate result to send an FBL
for an old message.

It sound like an expected distribution:
0.1% per month (1% in 10 months) 2 years ago
0.4% per month (4% in 10 months) 1 year ago
2.5% per month (5% in 2 months) 3 months ago
90% per month (90% in 1 the last month).

If you do open-tracking you can see similar distributions with
messages being opened even after many years. If they are opened after
years there's nothing weird to see they are sometimes also marked as
spam after years.

Stefano