On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 2:54 AM, Stefano Bagnara <mai...@bago.org> wrote:
> On 10 January 2018 at 08:16, Sotiris Tsimbonis <sts...@x33.gr> wrote:
>> [...] They did
>> not report it as spam yesterday, they only viewed it. They don't use an
>> email client, they only use the web interface provided by hotmail.
>
> I often heard story like this... the fact is that this "i never marked
> it as spam" is always from a non-techie person..
> - Sometimes they lie, because they didn't know you spy on their
> "junking habits", so they simply deny when you ask why they did
> something they didn't know you could "monitor".
> - Sometimes they don't even know what is the spam button (some of them
> think it is like trash, some of them don't know at all).
> - Sometimes they happen to click on stuff without really recognizing they did.
>
> We run a SaaS and very often our users say they never did something
> until we dig in the logs and have evidence they really did that, so my
> first think is always "everybody lies" (sometimes they are not really
> aware they are lying, they simply never read/tried to understood and
> thought that "permanently delete" means "hide this for a while").
>
> It is possible there is a bug in the platform, but I still have to get
> similar reports from a trusted source or see the behaviour with my
> eyes. So, I think you should take this at least as an option (and use
> Occam's razor).

I agree 100% here. Could there be a bug? Sure. Is it likely, based on
the data scene so far? No, not really.

If it were a bug that just viewing an old email triggered a spam
report, I think that we ESP platforms would all be flooded with stuff
like this, and that's not happening.

And users do definitely get confused about this sort of thing. ESPs
have to explain FBLs is detail to clients, and not all clients
understand it. If a fair number of email sending clients don't
understand it, then an even higher number of email receiving end users
probably don't understand it.

Cheers,
Al Iverson

--