In article <32db9480-1666-d007-4d83-976d891e2...@linuxmagic.com> you write:
>> It's not really wise to use non-obfuscated return paths when using
>> VERP. If it's easily decodable, a goofball could spin up fake ones to
>> try to get 'em logged as legitimate bounces and inhibit future
>> delivery of certain messages to certain recipients. Is it
>> common/likely?

That seems quite a stretch.  Has it ever happened in the history of the
Internet?

If I wanted to harass someone by mail I can think of about a million
better ways to do it.  You'd need a lot of detailed knowledge about a
particular mailer to spoof bounce someone off their lists, and then
it'd just be that mailer, or as likely as not just one list.  If you
really thought that was a problem, you could put a two letter checksum
into the VERP along the lines of BATV.

>IMHO, using VERP for a confirmed double-optin mailing lists can be
>understandable, but in that case, the list itself is very specific.
>But even then, a non VERP MAIL FROM is much preferable..
>(eg Return-Path: <mailop-boun...@mailop.org> )

Preferable for what?  VERP makes it much easier to figure out what
address is causing the bounces so if there's enough of them you know
who to remove.

R's,
John