On 17 February 2018 at 18:46, John Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:
> In article
> <CAHVBJ+=-byouu86w+vk_lme_c1maeryp2c7nw3tmsdtei5d...@mail.gmail.com> you
> write:
>>The use of IDs instead of the real original email in the return-path
>>may also be because of length limits.
>>Max length of an email address is 254 chars. If you have to insert it
>>"almost clear" in a return path and change the domain then there are
>>chance your return-path address will be more than 254 chars.
>>so if your original address is "a 242 ti...@example.com" how do you
>>add VERP to it without some sort of obfuscation?
>
> Actually, you're more likely to hit the local-part limit of 64 first,
> but how many real addresses (as opposed to artificial stress tests
> ones) have you seen where that's a problem?

It was 15 years ago and you're probably right we hit the limit of the
64 chars in the local part before the 254 of the full email.
I don't remember how often it happened, but this prevented delivery of
messages (or breaking the bounce processing by truncating the
address), so, even if they were 1 on 100.000 it needed a fix (and it
was using internal identifiers).

From a fast grep 0.05% of the email logged in my MTA are 40 chars ore
more in length. 0.0002% is more than 50.
Add your own return path domain length (in our case it was 17 chars,
18 with the @) and maybe some other prefix (it was a "b+" in our case)
and you get the volumes.

Stefano