From:   Brandon Long via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>
To:     John Levine <jo...@taugh.com>
Cc:     mailop <mailop@mailop.org>, Ned Freed <ned+mai...@mrochek.com>
Date:   11/04/2018 20:48
Subject:        Re: [mailop] question regarding support for international
characters {dkim-fail}
Sent by:        "mailop" <mailop-boun...@mailop.org>

At Google, Gmail can add support for other addresses without impacting
that many other services (contacts and the sharing UI's for the other
gsuite apps).

Changing all of Google products to handle a primary id that's not just
ascii is a much larger change across the company and coordinating
thousands of products.  For the NBU, they actually made a big push for
phone number based IDs instead, as that seemed to be the preference based
on local market research.

Big companies are complicated.

Brandon

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018, 11:32 AM John R Levine <jo...@taugh.com> wrote:
> Curious, isn't it, that the MSP EAI support we've talked about here is
> exclusively for other people's addresses, not for their own users?

I know a few Indian providers that offer EAI addresses and I think a
Chinese one.  It's not surprising that the US providers don't do so, since

as you note that's a lot harder than just dealing with other people's
addresses.

Regards,
John Levine, jo...@taugh.com, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY

Tenzij hierboven anders aangegeven: / Unless stated otherwise above:
IBM Nederland B.V.
Gevestigd te Amsterdam
Inschrijving Handelsregister Amsterdam Nr. 33054214