Doesn't ICANN policy require the domain to be put into a pending state and
disabled in the DNS for a period of time before it's allowed to be resold?

Here it is, grace period:

https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/expired-2013-05-03-en

Failure to work in the DNS is often the trigger for the owner 'hey, maybe
i've forgotton to do something' response.

If that'd happened I'd have expected the domain to stop working well
before it could change ownership.  But have caught out registrars in the
.com zone failing to get this right before, so nothing would surprise me.

Mark.