On 6/8/2018 5:49 AM, David Hofstee wrote:
> ... score of the sending-IP, which is similar to what you've described, correct?
Correct.

So you have these mechanisms in place. But your customers, who get access to the invaluement RBL, do not.  Am I correct? If I am, it still results in the conclusion that blacklists are not sufficient to have a resulting good spam filter. You would be ok, the list would not have false positives, but your customers would not be sufficiently covered once bad guys get smarter.

David,

You've made so many false assumptions to come to these conclusions... and taken things I've said out of context to get there... I had a hard time knowing where to begin!

(1) First, I "eat my own dogfood", even for my own mailbox! In our own spam filtering system, we score ALL invaluement blacklists "above threshold". However, in VERY RARE situations, a message will get delivered in our mail system where (a) it had one hit on one invaluement list, (b) NOTHING else spammy triggered, (c) and some rules kicked in that lowered the spam score just barely below threshold -BUT GUESS WHAT?- the vast majority of the time that happens, it ends up being a FALSE NEGATIVE - then I'm jealous of my own customers whose systems didn't deliver those spams to their users' inboxes!

(2) A large percentage of invaluement subscribers use SpamAssassin, and likewise use a multi-tiered scoring system where they score blacklists higher if that blacklist (a) had fewer FPs, -AND- (b) the FPs it generates are more likely to result in extremely rare and/or extremely justified FPs. And they score OTHER DNSBLs lower for those which have a higher frequency of hits on desired mail. And some have similar scoring options with other spam filtering systems in addition to SpamAssassin.

(3) I'm certain that some portion of invaluement subscribers have BETTER filtering than we have for our boutique mail hosting system, but that circumstance is somewhat rare ONLY because we can afford to put a lot more resources per mailbox into this, due to our DNSBL effectively subsidizing our small mail hosting system. (But this helps us to make the quality of invaluement data even better, which only benefits ALL of our subscribers - the opposite would be true if we neglected our own filtering system!) But since our subscribers all use a VARIETY of technologies and approaches to spam, and since invaluement data is only tacking a subset of all spam, and isn't trying to be a comprehensive solution for blocking all spam - every client has a unique situation. And I'm certain that at least SOME of them have even BETTER spam filtering than what we have for our mail hosting customers. But they all share one thing in common - they all have excellent filtering in the areas of their spam filtering that invaluement attempts to improve! :)

(4) You seem to be very confused about what I mean when I talk about how there has to be some justified level of "collateral damage" these days, due to the very high frequency of hijacked accounts, hijacked websites, and spamming ESP customers (from ESP that are overall good). Keep in mind that, ALL of these added together at one time - can be STILL be an astronomically tiny percentage-wise when it comes to how much the collateral damage impacts the average end user, yet can still be tremendously harmful to the company with the security problem, since the problem CONCENTRATES there. To give an extreme example, suppose a small business with 25 employees, who averages 500 outbound legit emails a day - had a security lapse and their server starts attempting to send out 200,000+ egregious spams per day - and now their 500 outbound legit emails are getting blocked in many places. The chances that an ISP with 10,000 mailboxes - or even 1M mailboxes - is going to be impacted by the collateral damage - and have to deal with user complaints about false positives - is extremely rare - yet this small business is going to have a very very bad day that day! In a situation like this, their sending IP is likely to get blacklisted on Invaluement and/or Spamhaus - but will likely also get delisted fairly soon after they submit a delist request and/or fix the problem (but that could take longer if they are doing stupid stuff - like having a poorly formed PTR record that looks dynamic and doesn't properly convey identity and reputation... but I digress) And then other higher-FP blacklists will do a lot of similar listings, except they'll also include situations where the spam-to-collateral-damage ratios are NOT so clear cut. These other lists are better for scoring - AND MANY (OR MOST?) INVALUEMENT SUBSCRIBERS HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY TO DO THAT SCORING. (did you not know that?)

(5) Also, a large percentage of Invaluement subscribers choose to block at the perimeter (at connection, without accepting the message) based on Zen (from Spamhaus), ivmSIP, and ivmSIP/24 - and are extremely pleased with the extremely low number of FPs - and the way that we score ALL invaluement DNSBL hits on messages to our own users' mailboxes "above threshold" - is very similar to that. And in those rare instances where something in our system caused an invaluement-listed message to get delivered to the inbox, the vast majority of the time - it ended up being a false negatives in my system, NOT the avoidance of a false positive. (as it should be - so that we can have even better telemetry for spotting and quickly fixing potential invaluement FPs!) But, again, even this exceptional situation. Again, an invaluement-listed message getting through our own filter, due to a rare set of circumstances (that usually results in a False Negative!) is extremely rare when compared to the number of invaluement-listed spams that our own spam filter routinely blocks.

Finally, regarding your statement "blacklists are not sufficient to have a resulting good spam filter"

(6) nobody in this thread ever claimed that blacklists-alone are sufficient for having good spam filtering. I certainly have NEVER made such a statement, or even implied such. But I have stated that it is very difficult to have high quality filtering AND it is difficult to have efficient filtering that can keep up with high volumes of spams, without using blacklists. Also, something not being 100% comprehensive and not being perfect - doesn't mean it isn't extremely beneficial and often even critically important. For example, occasionally, we get subscribers who use MS Exchange, don't subscriber to Microsoft's build-in filtering options, and don't have any kind of anti-spam exchange add-ons installed. They ONLY try to filter using RBLs entered into MS Exchange. I ALWAYS try to educate such a person that their filtering will NEVER have the ability to be very good if the ONLY thing they are doing is blocking on high-quality low-FP DNSBLs. (I have this conversation with someone at least a couple of times a year.)

--
Rob McEwen
https://www.invaluement.com