Ah, I would have answered off-list, but since it's here, I can certainly reply
here.

Preamble: if there's a better channel than Mailop to give Microsoft an educated
feedback about an apparent disfunction of their service, please let me know. I
already tried quite a few "official" others with no result. Also, we've been
patient and polite, maybe too much. You don't take care of patient people's
problems, you prioritize those of the loud ones (yellow jacket, anyone?). It's
all human. As for Gmail Postmaster Tools APIs, if the email community doesn't
make noise enough to be heard by Google that we want those and why, chances are
we'll never get them (and I said I would work on making some noise, and still
didn't yet, I'm also only human, apparently).
A _lot_ of senders are hitting issues with Outlook.com. A lot of them
understands that it's not an easy issue to fix, and that it's less a priority
than catching phishing, pedophilia contents or other things that make Outlook's
people sweat, but it doesn't mean that it's not a real problem that shouldn't
be fixed at some point. A lot of senders are also staying quiet, for various
reasons, but are still sharing the same legitimate frustration.

So, dear readers, there's a new piece of information since earlier today: I
found out that the "weird behavior" came back, but not on the shared IPs I said
I switched that client into. Indeed, for an unknown reason that my team is
trying to figure out, the client's last few sendings (those with the issue)
were sent from their dedicated IPs. So with the same issue as before the switch
of IPs.
That means there's no new signal that Outlook.com or its users are _still_
considering the emails are unwanted with the new IPs.
Although I understand that having the same issues after switching IPs could
mean that there was a problem of traffic quality with previous IPs, and it's
still there with the new ones, that would be ignoring the impact a domain name,
a sender's email address, or other elements of an email can have. We know
Microsoft relies a lot on IPs, but we also saw it stumbles quite often (some
IPs with no traffic change, or no traffic at all, are getting blocked out of
nowhere).

Turns out that the only piece of news in my previous message was that despite
whitelisting the sender's domain name, the "TimeTravel" behavior still occurs,
which straightens me in the idea that there's a bug on Outlook.com's side.

Now to reply Laura's points (there's nothing confidential here, I have not much
to hide, and it could benefit to others in various ways):

> 1) Mail going to the bulk folder? That sign says: Your mail is bad, our users
> don’t want it and we’re going to protect them from it.
This is the common understanding of it, yes. Minus false positives.
Just in case I didn't say it already, this traffic is very legitimate opt-ins,
messages are nice, inactives are excluded, 40% open rates on average, etc. :
the perfect client an ESP can dream of.

> 2)  Mail going to the bulk folder after reaching the inbox because you
> changed IPs? Our users are telling us that when we put your mail in the inbox
> they don’t want it there.
That would be a big hint indeed; but as explained, my case is in fact not in
this scenario.

> 3) The closing of tickets without any response?  We’ve told you repeatedly
> what you need to do to fix things and you aren’t paying any attention. We’re
> tired of sending you the same information, and there’s nothing more we’re
> able to tell you.
That could work for several Support teams I know of, but copy/pasting
irrelevant texts (because that's all the support agents are legally allowed to
do) isn't what you're depicting. In the context of Outlook.com's support for
instance, it doesn't work that way.
Maybe it's "we are not allowed to answer anything else than the copy/pasted
stuff so we just won't reply at all", hence my initial and unanswered request
for escalation.
If I continue to push for this ticket, it's in the hope that someone will be
looking at SLA and other statistics like Support team managers do: time of
response, number of tickets per agent, number of replies, etc. and that maybe
some light will be shed on the case. Yet another channel where I try to be
heard.

> 4) The overruling of address book whitelisting? This mail is so bad and the
> sender has such a poor reputation, we’re not going to let it go to the inbox
> even when the user adds the sender to their inbox.
Ow come on. Seriously? I prefer to consider you're trolling here.
This would be a very bad way to deal with users' preferences, but after all, if
a system thinks he knows better than its users, why not? (Yes I'm the one
trolling now)

Cheers,
--
Benjamin