On Tue, 2019-01-08 at 11:26 -0500, Rob McEwen wrote:
> On 1/8/2019 10:26 AM, Jim Popovitch via mailop wrote:
> > > Which spammer would not pay that fee if they would be interested
> > > get whitelisted?
> >
> > That's not how it works, and frankly you should know that as a
> > security
> > expert.
>
> At the very least, it is a suspicious practice. And certain people
> high up in the industry have strongly warned me against ever doing
> ANYTHING like that...

The same has been said about HTML emails...but that hasn't stopped
folks from using them.  ;-)

IMO "suspicious practice" is a wide brush.  One might say the same
about all DNSBLs being suspicious because there is a fair amount of
ambiguity, mystery, and uncertainty.   The reality is pay-to-play works
(both at Barracuda and UCE Protect), like it or not, it is an extremely
small entry point for entry level players and it provides a way for the
operators of those BLs to know exactly who they are whitelisting.  The
only other solution would be an Internet Operators License  ;-)

-Jim P.