On Tue, 2019-01-08 at 16:36 -0500, Rob McEwen wrote:
> On 1/8/2019 4:26 PM, Jim Popovitch via mailop wrote:
> > Any value greater than a reasonable amount to provide a
> > communications
> > portal, and actual communications with, the entity requesting the
> > de-
> > listing.
>
> Jim,
> I get offers OFTEN from those who had been blacklisted by
> invaluement, where they ask, "Rob, can we pay you to up us set up our
> system better so that we won't have the kind of security breaches
> that caused us to get blacklisted?" (and then I kindly state about a
> dozen extremely high quality tips, based on their specific situation,
> for them in about 5-10 free minutes of my time that I donate to them)

I'm not sure how security breaches got into this....  They happen, if
someone gets listed (or worse) because of it, than paying to clean it
up is reasonable and expected.

> Occasionally, some have even offered to fly me out to their location
> to train them - I imagine that those might have been high ticket
> consultancy jobs!
>
> As a DNSBL operator, can you guess WHY it wouldn't be ethical for me
> to start saying "yes" to those offers?

I can see the ethics issue involved with playing both sides of the
line, sure.  I also see an issue where you probably shouldn't criticize
another DNSBL unless you have data that they are misstating why and how
they collect fees for their efforts. ;-)

> (there is just so much going on here that you're missing...)

I disagree. While I never profess to know everything, I have been
receiving and sending bulk email for ~20 years now.  I've received a
lot of good help along the way, but I've also received a lot of
questionable advice, that seemed right at the time (and was given to me
with good intentions).  As with most things, fill a room full of people
and you'll get varying opinions, and those opinions evolve!  ;-)

-Jim P.