In article <20190111182954.gd47...@symphytum.spacehopper.org> you write:
>On 2019/01/11 10:07, Michael Peddemors wrote:
>> For the record, we aren't speaking about 'Friendly Names', but the userpart
>> of the addr-spec address
>>
>> But a pointer to an RFC where it is permitted, that I don't find..
>
>RFC5322 and predecessors.

These look like the bounce address in the MAIL FROM, so it's a
reverse-path as defined in RFC 5321 section 4.1.2 which is the same as
RFC 2821 section 4.1.2 other than formatting.

If you follow through the BNF, the * is in the local-part of the mailbox,
which is an Atom which consists of a string of atext, which is indeed imported
from RFC 5322 which says in section 3.2.3 that "*" can appear in an atext.

On the other hand, it also says that the maximum length of a
local-part is 64 characters.  Depending on the username and domain
Mike's seeing, the local-part may well be longer than that.  I have
seen actual mail systems that choke on overlong local-parts, although
there's little reason for them to do so.

--
Regards,
John Levine, jo...@iecc.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",