This is an interesting topic - it's one I'm affected by.

I operate web services and mail servers for a small number of commercial
clients, and the opaque (and seemingly erratic) classification criteria for
emails is causing me sleepless nights at the moment.

Real world case study: in the past year or so, one of my clients, in
particular the company's Managing Director, has experienced multiple
deliverability issues to various disparate recipients. This company
operates in the media and commodities sectors, so relies heavily on
reliable email operation to conduct business with contacts around the
world. Until about 18 months ago, emails making it to their recipients was
never an issue; I've provided and personally managed email services for
this client for over a decade.

Of late, the common factor in every deliverability issue is that all
recipients seem to be O365/Microsoft MSP customers. After an apparently
successful initial delivery, emails are silently junked or, as happened
last week, marked with a sufficiently high PCL (5) to be auto-junked as
phishing (?!). I only found this out after using an alternate address to
email the recipient who was helpful in providing some headers, but was
unable to assist further. It's so incredibly frustrating.

As others have described, the content of emails which get dropped is fairly
standard business to-and-fros. In some cases, correspondence has occurred
for some time before the Outlook servers start classifying the mails as
junk - seemingly arbitrarily. The prior chain of correspondence being
established between my customer and a recipient on an Outlook-hosted
account appears to mean nothing once the filters go super-aggressive -- I
can't see any reason for it happening. My customer's recipients are not the
kind of people who will hit "spam" on his emails, they're invariably
longstanding correspondents.

The most frustrating thing is that there's no feedback from the Outlook
MTAs when these drops occur. I can understand this for some reasons, but
still find it remarkably frustrating from a support standpoint. I can't
even detect that autojunks are happening (and file the requisite
deliverability reports), so the problem continues undetected.

We've tried all sorts over the past couple of months: adding to safe
senders, discussing with corporate admins, filing deliverability reports to
Microsoft etc. We've gone so far as to simplify the email content and means
by which customers have been sending emails - e.g. plaintext only, excising
all signatures, removing images and so on, even ensuring that the tone of
language and the wording is as 'good' as it possibly can be to avoid being
erroneously considered as junk.

Despite weeks of investigation and testing, all this seems to have made no
meaningful difference. Entire domains or sending IPs aside, do individual
senders somehow accrue an unshakeable 'label of untrustworthiness' which
somehow biases all future emails to be wrong or overly harshly categorised?

Any apparent resolution following a deliverability report only seems to fix
delivery for the specific recipient's organisation - if at all - the
problem invariably happens again with another organisation at a later date.
There's never been any feedback to me via any of the Microsoft programmes
or my given contact details when my client's business emails start getting
junked.

The SNDS and JMRP portals are effectively useless for smaller volume
senders. For example, my servers' IPs generate insufficient volumes to
Microsoft/Outlook/Hotmail recipients to generate statistics via SNDS
(except for "all of the IPs have normal status"), despite a steady flow of
emails to and from MTAs around the world without issue. My JMRP
registrations are active but have never sent me any negative feedback, so
I'm confident nothing has been flagged as junk by a customer.

In the meantime, my server IP reputations, checked across multiple services
appear fine (caveat that senderscore is N/A as they've seen insufficient
volume to make a judgement, ironically). All other technicals like
spamassassin scoring on representative sample and test emails (all totally
fine), consistent IP PTR, SPF, DKIM and DMARC come back as 100% OK, and
I've assiduously checked and double-checked everything.

---

There's a lack of useful information for senders who are attempting to
investigate deliverability issues. Obviously the MS secret recipe for
categorising spam, phishing and general junk can't be fully explained - but
more detailed guidance and better reporting of dropped emails from
otherwise-valid senders (borrowing a domain's SPF return path, or even via
JMRP abuse reporting details?) would be a valuable improvement.

For smaller operators like me, it's becoming so difficult to guarantee
consistent email delivery to Microsoft/Outlook customers, who seem to be
increasing in number due to O365 / hosted Exchange migration, that I'm
starting to feel like I might be forced out of this business despite doing
absolutely nothing wrong and ensuring my own customers adhere strictly to
my terms of use (no spam, junk or abuse - authorised access for their
business purposes only).

I don't want to have to consider migrating my customers to whitelabel mail
providers, that seems mad, but I'm yet to find an obvious resolution. I've
already fulfilled every requirement I can find to demonstrate my systems
only host reputable senders.

I have no issue with being fully compliant with best practice, and I
strictly monitor the service I provide for any potential abuse or
misbehaviour. At the moment, I have absolutely no idea what else I can do
when emails get silently ignored or junked by Microsoft email services,
I've tried everything I can think of. Misclassification of emails by the
Outlook/O365 MTAs causes significant business disruption - and
embarrassment for both me and my customers.

Despite having 'ticked all the boxes' to indicate I'm a reputable sender it
seems it's never enough for Microsoft. I'd be interested to hear from other
smaller operators who also see the problems my client and I are
experiencing, particularly if they've found any means to more permanently
resolve the misclassification issues.

Regards
Chris