Point taken.. however, in his case, this is more about network operators, than email operators, which is probably why he suggested to keep it off list.

However, the point has been raised in the past, whether this list should expand on it's allowable range of discussions.

That hasn't been determined as of yet. Comments and thoughts on that subject welcome.

But to keep it short and sweet, there are obvious things that network operators can do to keep clean networks. We even considered in the past offering consulting/monitoring as a service, to help operators implement those simple to do things.

But traditionally, the operators that are serious about doing things to improve, usually end up doing it in-house, while those that aren't, have no interest in paying for such a service ;)

Network operators range widely, from those that offer 'bullet proof' hosting, to those that simply turn a blind eye, to those that are new to the industry, that truly simply need to learn, to those that are really professional. Unfortunately, history shows that the growth rates of businesses that are shall we say 'less' motivated to be good net citizens, have been stronger .. 'to a point'.

But business forces change, and with IPv4 run out, increased scrutiny by law makers, and more aggressive techniques like blacklisting, the businesses that aren't interested in a 'quick exit' are now looking at this more seriously.

Heard an interesting key note at Lacnic recently, done by one of the Azure leads, about how the things they worried about (eg inbound attacks) when they designed their systems, weren't the things that happened. The things that happened were what they didn't expect, eg abuses inside the network going out, or abuses from one node to another.

And in general, that is a common problem. Businesses, processes, and networks are built for growth, and it is the unexpected things that the systems were never designed for. ONLY later on do those things pile up enough to become a business consideration.

Eg, unfortunately, ONLY when networks become blacklisted, or have other revenue affecting problems, are systems implemented to rectify these problems in many cases.

But as long as network operators do "work towards" solving those problems, in general there will be lots' of people who will work with them to help.

But we are no longer in a world, where 'too big to block' is a realistic expectation for any network operator.