CAN SPAM basically says that receivers are not obligated to deliver mail that
complies with the law.

It’s, IMO, a badly written, poorly argued lawsuit that sounds more like
something I’d read on NANAE by someone with only passing familiarity with the
law or how the courts work. I blogged about it yesterday.

laura

> On 26 Jul 2019, at 22:42, Brandon Long via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:
>
> No comments from this side, obviously... except that everything old is new
> again:
>
> https://www.google.com/search?q=trump+campaign+email+gmail+spam
> <https://www.google.com/search?q=trump+campaign+email+gmail+spam>
>
> Also, doesn't CAN-SPAM only apply to senders?
>
> Brandon
> (not speaking on behalf of Google)
>
> On Fri, Jul 26, 2019 at 11:19 AM Anne P. Mitchell, Esq. via mailop
> <mailop@mailop.org <mailto:mailop@mailop.org>> wrote:
> While at first blush the big news about this lawsuit is that Google is being
> sued for suppressing presidential candidate Tulsi Gabbard's campaign's ads,
> there is also a piece of the lawsuit where they are suing Google because
> (they claim) a disproportionate number of her campaign's email was being put
> in the Gmail spam folder.  They talk about the opacity of how the spam filter
> works, etc...
>
> Now, of course, years ago, when I was at MAPS, we dealt with several lawsuits
> from spammers about how unfair it was that they were being filtered because
> of the RBL, etc., etc., and they fairly roundly lost.
>
> This however is different, because we have a political candidate claiming
> that Google is suppressing *political* speech, the free pass for which is
> baked right into CAN-SPAM, as we all know only too well.
>
> Here is our plain English write up of it, which I doubt anyone here needs
> (the plain English part), but we also are hosting a full copy of the lawsuit,
> which is linked here as well:
>
> https://www.theinternetpatrol.com/presidential-candidate-tulsi-gabbard-sues-google-over-disabling-ads-and-going-to-the-spam-folder-full-text-of-lawsuit-included/
>
> <https://www.theinternetpatrol.com/presidential-candidate-tulsi-gabbard-sues-google-over-disabling-ads-and-going-to-the-spam-folder-full-text-of-lawsuit-included/>
>
> Anne
>
> Anne P. Mitchell, Attorney at Law
> Dean of Cybersecurity & Cyberlaw, Lincoln Law School of San Jose
> CEO/President, Institute for Social Internet Public Policy
> Author: Section 6 of the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 (the Federal anti-spam law)
> Legislative Consultant
> GDPR, CCPA (CA) & CCDPA (CO) Compliance Consultant
> Board of Directors, Denver Internet Exchange
> Board of Directors, Asilomar Microcomputer Workshop
> Legal Counsel: The CyberGreen Institute
> Former Counsel: Mail Abuse Prevention System (MAPS)

Having an Email Crisis?  We can help! 800 823-9674

Laura Atkins
Word to the Wise
la...@wordtothewise.com
(650) 437-0741