On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 15:31:04 +0000, "Brotman, Alexander via mailop"
<mailop@mailop.org> wrote:

>One of the interesting things I’ve learned while interacting with ESPs is that
>some of them will artificially restrict the number of messages per session, in
>lieu of opening more sessions. Some of them have told me the values are in the
>low single digits. I’ve kind of wondered the rationale for that might be. Is
>it the idea that you want to get your messages through as quickly as possible?

My employer's product deliberately limits the system to one message per
connection session.  The number of simultaneous connections and the number of
messages per hour is controlled statically and programmatically on a
per-MX-cluster basis.  For destinations that have the capacity (and for
senders who have the proper reputation) this can have the result of a
comfortable 50,000 message per hour delivery, with the added advantage that
one has log data for each destination address, which can temper the sender's
database nicely.

My own server (six users -- my business, friends and family only, but hundreds
of bogus and trap recipient addresses that have arisen over the last 23 years,
25 Mbit pipe) will drop the connection after the fifth RCPT TO, and deny
connectivity for at least 24 hours to the IP that attempted this atrocity.  It
will do the same for any IP that makes more than five connections within three
minutes (with an exception set for mailing lists such as this one).  Saves me
endless woe.

Different strokes...

mdr
--
   Sometimes half-ass is exactly the right amount of ass.
       -- Wonderella